Re: INFOPATH on MSYS(2)

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: INFOPATH on MSYS(2)
Date: Wed, 01 May 2019 23:07:53 +0100

Noam Postavsky <npostavs@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 1 May 2019 at 00:04, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> > ??? You mean MSYS2 Bash doesn't convert the colons to semi-colons (and
>> > the /d/foo/bar file names to Windows d:\foo\bar) when they pass
>> > INFOPATH to native MS-Windows programs?  That's a terrible bug.  Doing
>> > these conversions are the main reason for MSYS existence, and the main
>> > difference between it and Cygwin.
>
>> I just checked, and MSYS does perform this conversion, both on INFOPATH and
>> on any other FOOPATH variable that looks like a list of directories.
>>
>> So INFOPATH should look in MinGW Emacs as expected, separated by
>> semi-colons.  If it doesn't happen for you, there's some other factor at
>> work here.
>>

> It seems that it does perform the conversion, but in doing so drops
> the the trailing colon.
>
> $ export INFOPATH=/c/foo:/c/bar:
> $ emacs -Q --batch --eval '(print (getenv "INFOPATH"))'
> "C:\\foo;C:\\bar"

Yes, apologies, my last email was nonsense. Running "export" in a
mingw64 we see

declare -x INFOPATH="/usr/local/info:/usr/share/info:/usr/info:/share/info:"

Running export in a shell inside Emacs we see.

declare -x
INFOPATH="C:\\msys64\\usr\\local\\info;C:\\msys64\\usr\\share\\info;C:\\msys64\\usr\\info;C:\\msys64\\share\\info"

Final ":" gone, hence Emacs never appends its own info files.

No idea where this is caused and it's a lot harder to chase down than
setting the INFOPATH.

Phil