Re: Why is Elisp slow?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Why is Elisp slow?
Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 21:33:55 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> (My personal rant to package authors is that they are way too eager to
> implement stuff in Lisp which cannot possibly be fast enough or
> scalable enough, instead of urging Emacs to provide new C primitives
> and core features, or, better, submitting patches to implement such
> features in C.  Two cases in point are linum-mode and fci-mode.  End
> of rant.)

On addition to what Marcin Borkowski says, it is a great convenience to
implement something yourself that you can deliver on your own schedule
instead of depending on something that can take years to be available to
your user base. Apart from the extra work of explaining and justifying
what you need and convincing someone to implement it.

(And then, what is "fast enough for me" can be unbearably slow for
others, etc)