Re: Why is Elisp slow?

From: 조성빈
Subject: Re: Why is Elisp slow?
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 10:06:56 +0900

I became curious after reading your email :-)

Since implementing a new language/byte interpreter (Guile, for example) is
hard, and making it fast is harder, why doesn't Emacs leverage the Common Lisp
environment?̊̈

For example, (since CL and elisp’s syntax is mostly similar) can’t we implement
Emacs based on CL (looks like there were ongoing efforts before like Climacs,
Hemlock, etc…) and expose elisp functions in a special package named ‘elisp’?̊̈
It would allow elisp compatibility (by running all elisp code in the special
elisp package) while giving package writers access to CL libraries. Since
legacy cruft can go inside the package ‘elisp’, CL emacs APIs can
remove/redesign some old APIs and remove technical debt. This would also
greatly accerlate Emacs speed as CL is super fast especially when using with
SBCL.

Are there any reasons (that I do not know) why CL was not considered or was
considered but rejected as an elisp alternative?
Are there license problems to build on previous attempts?̊̈

IMHO building emacs on CL would be a wonderful idea... and would fix many
problems that current Emacs have.