Re: debug-ignored-errors usage

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: debug-ignored-errors usage
Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 20:14:28 -0700

Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

> Budi wrote:
>
>> How's the usage of debug-ignored-errors ?
>> I've tried with no benefit whatsoever;
>>
>> (setq debug-ignored-errors (beginning-of-buffer))
>
> I also get nothing sensible from this?
>
> I also wonder what this means when I do
> `C-h v debug-ignored-errors RET' and it says:
>
>     debug-ignored-errors is a variable defined
>     in ‘C source code’.
>
>     Its value is
>     ("^No word found to check!$" search-failed beginning-of-line
> beginning-of-buffer end-of-line end-of-buffer end-of-file
> buffer-read-only file-supersession mark-inactive user-error)
>
>     Original value was
>     (beginning-of-line beginning-of-buffer end-of-line end-of-buffer
> end-of-file buffer-read-only file-supersession mark-inactive
> user-error)
>
> What does it mean the value is X, and the
> original value was Y?
>
> I certainly never changed it. I search my
> entire code and there isn't a single mention of
> `debug-ignored-errors'.
>
> Do packs from [M]ELPA change it or do "the
> original value" refer to earlier
> Emacs versions?
>
> Or what's going on?

The docstring explains it: these are errors that _won't_ trigger the
debugger even if you've toggled debug-on-error t. Either condition
names, or regexps matching error messages.

Original value/changed value simply shows you what the default value
was, and how the current value is different from the default. Your value
looks very much like ispell or some other spelling package has added
it's own regexp in there to skip debugging when it couldn't find a word
to check.

My value has an added regexp "^Exit the snippet first!$", which I'm
guessing was added by yasnippet or the skeleton package or something.

Eric