Re: Why is Elisp slow?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why is Elisp slow?
Date: Fri, 03 May 2019 10:00:45 +0300

> Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 02:44:16 +0200
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Having Guile as a dependency will grow emacs size significantly
> and using it as an external dependency (not usually the emacs way...)
> will require to port Guile to more systems (AFAIK).

Which systems we care about are not already supported by Guile?

> The alternative JIT may be based in libJIT which is not very active
> either... and has serious issues/limitations that has not been solved in
> years.

There's a branch in the Emacs repository that uses libJIT.  It has
problems with some Emacs configurations, which need to be solved in
libJIT.  Alas, those problems, reported months ago to the libJIT
developers, are still not fixed.

More importantly, the libJIT build failed to show any significant
speed-up wrt byte code, so it sounds like maybe the whole idea was
either wrong or its design couldn't possibly provide any gains.  Or
maybe we just measured the speed-up in wrong scenarios.