Re: Why is Elisp slow?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Why is Elisp slow?
Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 14:47:12 -0400

>> [ IIUC of the 4 cases above, at most 2 run the same version, so we'd
>>  need to make sure the same Emacs version can be compiled against all
>>  of those versions.  No idea if it would impose a significant extra
>>  burden or not, but it's something to be considered.  Also the fact
>>  that the latest release doesn't work on all those platforms is rather
>>  worrying.  ]
>
> Hmm…? I can’t understand :-(
> Why can’t Emacs can include a specific version of SBCL’s source (e.g. as
> a git module) and compile them all together?̊̈

Exactly because the version that can run on ARM is not the same as the
one that can run under Windows, which is not the same as the one that
runs under AMD64.

Of course, maybe I'm confused by the table of available binaries (at
http://sbcl.org/platform-table.html), and in reality the latest version
works fine on all supported platforms.

        Stefan