Re: Why is Elisp slow?

From: 조성빈
Subject: Re: Why is Elisp slow?
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 13:35:09 +0900

I understand why this is impossible or near-to-impossible; but...

> 2019. 5. 10. 오후 1:26, Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> 작성:
>
> I considered that possibility.
>
> Give a look to the files sizes inside src in Emacs sources. Only xdisp.c, for
> example, is more than 33000 lines. Projects like remacs are migrating the C
> code to rust and they have needed years and only moved small portions. Also
> the lisp compilers aren't as good optimized and mature as GCC for example.
> And big changes will make the code unfamiliar for our developers.

xdisp.c is a cross-platform (#ifdef-containing) low-level function that handles
displaying… C functions like that can just be imported with FFI and be used.
Many CL compilers (such as SBCL, CCL, etc) are actually super-optimized, and
emit code as fast as most C compilers as the language was used for a long time;
With some type hints in low-level functions, SBCL emits assembly as fast as C
:-)

As for remacs, I’m pretty sure GNU Emacs have much more manpower than Remacs;
and Emacs don’t need to migrate all of C code; only the portion that implements
Elisp functions.

> But we have the scoping differences with common lisp, so that will also force
> big updates in the lisp code…

This can be mitigated by implementing Elisp in CL (as we would have to do that)
and run the code in the Elisp package.