Re: crontab from Emacs not only with Emacs

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: crontab from Emacs not only with Emacs
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 03:15:10 +0200

Noam Postavsky wrote:

> I think the answer here would be to set
> EDITOR to emacsclient.

Thanks to all of you, you are right of course!

In Emacs, do

    M-x server-start RET

Then in the shell do

    $ EDITOR=emacsclient crontab -e

Then edit the file in Emacs and do `C-x #'
when done.

The MELPA `crontab-mode' does not kick in by
default tho, but one can live with that, or
configure it, I suppose, based on the crontab
filename. As for me, I think I'll uninstall it
as I don't plan to do that much scheduling with
crontab. Not everything has to have its own
mode! Just like with space. Just because we are
in space, not _everything_ has to be called
something with "space": the "space bar", "space
police", etc. Right?

Anyway if anyone is hooked on SX rep here is
the exact same question [1] but with a couple
of comments and an answer and there is no
mention of this method, which IMO works much
better than their by all means creative
attempts :)

[1]
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/10077/how-to-edit-crontab-directly-within-emacs-when-i-already-have-emacs-open