Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 17:00:01 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Out of the important features listed in
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_development_environment
>
> we completely lack support for code
> completion and refactoring. Our debugging
> support is only up to speed with GDB, which
> means we are limited in the programming
> languages we can support reasonably well.

OK, so if I understand you correctly we are not
happy to be just an editor that writes code and
then relies on other program to the rest, like
compiling and debugging, only we do actually
want that, but we want it to be
more integrated?

And we want more language-specific features
like I guess Java has with Eclipse or C# with
.NET/Mono?

And we also disregard things like Dired, Gnus,
ERC, Emacs-w3m, and what have you, which are
a great help when developing... if you don't
talk to much instead of working, that is :$

We also disregard that when you work on
a project there are often several languages
involved, documentation, a home page, and so on
and we have all that all in one house with the
same finger-habits, help system, and
extension/configuration interface.

I think the whole (point) with Emacs is that it
is ready for everything, with much the same
approach. Want to learn a new language?
You can start immediately, as you don't have to
learn a new editor or "IDE" first!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573