Re: Disemvowelment Mode?

From: Paul W. Rankin
Subject: Re: Disemvowelment Mode?
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 14:17:22 +1000

On Tue, May 14 2019, Grant Rettke wrote:

The issue I'm trying to manage here my mental stamina. I call that my mental budget. For example if I'm going to dictate a 2h lecture then I have a budget of 100 Euros

My goal is to minimize spending of my mental budget.

I used to work as a journalist, needing to transcribe interviews, and now I still need to transcribe TV postproduction scripts. Everyone is different, but I found that the mental stamina is taxed not by the speed of the recording/typing but by the sense that you don't control the flow, i.e. when you're listening and typing simultaneously, you have a constant requirement to "keep up" with the recording.

I found it much easier to separate these tasks. So you listen to a sentence or two, pause, type what you heard, repeat. This way you retain a sense of control of your flow; each task is much easier because you focus on listening, then focus on typing accurately.

You'll likely even find you get through a recording much faster because you can speed up the playback to ~200% and still have an accurate listening comprehension of what is being said.

I don't think spending your time creating what will likely be a complex elisp program is going to be in your best interests.

--
https://www.paulwrankin.com