Re: colours lost

From: Madhu
Subject: Re: colours lost
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 16:58:30 +0530

* Eli Zaretskii <83pnruo2ub.fsf@gnu.org> :
Wrote on Thu, 14 Feb 2019 16:35:08 +0200:

>> From: Madhu <enometh@net.meer>
>> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 12:40:58 +0530
>>
>> I'm running an X toolkit build (master from around november) and very
>> recently I am losing all colours both under X and tty. Typically I start
>> emacs via --daemon and attach to it via both X and tty.
>>
>> What I mean is eg. M-x list-colors-display shows a buffer in which all
>> the the lines are displayed with foreground colour set to the default
>> foreground, background colour to the default background, and font set to
>> the default-font.  Same with happens M-x list-faces-display.  colours
>> set via font-lock still work.  Emacs starts off ok but somewhere this
>> gets triggered and I can't think of what I've been doing recently that
>> causes this.  Where do I start looking for the code which handles this?
>
> Does "M-x list-faces-display" also show all the faces the same, both
> colors and fonts?

Yes

> If so, it sounds like something is redefining all the faces, and you
> should look at your customizations related to faces.
>
> Thinking a bit more about this: if all the colors are suddenly lost,
> you should see it happening immediately, and so the last thing you did
> is a good starting point for looking for the culprit.

I haven't figured out what triggers the problem yet, but the clue is it
is related to global-font-lock-mode.

When the problem described occurs, global-font-lock-mode is t.

C-u C-x = on a piece of text which shows the bold face in the *Faces*
buffer shows:
,----
| There are text properties here:
|   button               (t)
|   category             help-face-button
|   fontified            t
|   help-args            (bold)
|   read-face-name       bold
`----

After setting (global-font-lock-mode -1) and reverting *Faces* restores
the list-faces-display as expected.

Now C-u C-x = shows
,----
| There are text properties here:
|   button               (t)
|   category             help-face-button
|   face                 bold
|   help-args            (bold)
|   read-face-name       bold
`----

So When the problem occurs all text is "fontified" and faces seem to
be ignored.

Still looking for another clue..
---Madhu