Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 16:18:26 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 15.05.2019 16:25, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> OTOH C-Mode supports M-; (comment-dwim) which is an standard method of
>> (un)commenting code in Emacs.
>
> Right. So why the other binding?

comment-dwin != comment-region

>> Pretending that every mode conforms to the same rules is
>> counterproductive, because there are vast differences among them.
>
> We also have different bindings for similar things in similar modes.

In principle, fixing those would be beneficial. OTOH, forcing existing
users to adapt just for the cause of coherence with modes they don't use
is not desirable either.

>> We shall strive for pragmatism, not for bureaucracy.
>
> Sure, but I don't understand your negative reaction in this case.

I think I already explained the issue, but I'll put it this way: what
you would do about C-c C-c on C-Mode and how that would help their
users?