Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 17:45:48 +0300

On 15.05.2019 17:18, Óscar Fuentes wrote:

comment-dwin != comment-region

Is the latter better frequently enough? If yes, why don't we have it in other modes?

In principle, fixing those would be beneficial. OTOH, forcing existing
users to adapt just for the cause of coherence with modes they don't use
is not desirable either.

It's an investment in the future. Future users, at least. Or existing users who use some major modes and would benefit from consistency when trying out new ones. E.g. I don't use CC Mode often, and when I do, it's a whole new universe.

I think I already explained the issue, but I'll put it this way: what
you would do about C-c C-c on C-Mode and how that would help their
users?

Pretty much what you suggested. Remove the binding and mention that in NEWS, together with the existing alternative.

Some users might be upset, most won't care, and some will be educated about the better alternative. The binding would also be freed for some feature in the future, like C-REPL maybe.