Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 01:19:42 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Debugging works well enough, but code search
> is very simplistic (brings a lot of false
> positives, because it's basically dumb text
> search, not sensitive enough to the
> language), and refactoring doesn't work at
> all, because we have no facilities for that.
> For small projects, you could use 'A' or 'Q'
> in Dired, but that quickly becomes unworkable
> in large projects.

OK, thanks!

By refactoring, here, I take it you mean
a program that is parsing the code, analyzing
it, and breaking it up, to have neat building
blocks instead of huge functions, but with the
same functionality, and all this without or
with little human intervention?

Well, that sounds... advanced! So this is
something modern IDEs do? :O

To have that for all our programming modes
sounds like a enormous challenge!

The only way I can see it work in practice is
if the refactoring logic could be separated and
be the same for all languages, so one would
just have to have parsing language-specific and
then hook it to the refactoring engine...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573