Disable self-insert-command

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Disable self-insert-command
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 12:59:42 +0200

Hi,

I've been trying to figure out if there's a straightforward way to disable all self-inserting characters through a minor mode, but I haven't been able to find something. Two options come to mind, but they both don't feel "right". One would be to simply bind all self-inserting characters to `ignore', which seems cumbersome and error-prone, however. The other option that comes to mind is advising `self-insert-command`, though I haven't (yet) tested whether that would actually work and wouldn't cause any other problems, given that it's a primitive function.

I guess I could also make the relevant buffer read-only, but then every key that's not bound to something else produces a "Buffer is read-only" error...

Any ideas? Anything I'm overlooking?

TIA

Joost

--