Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 17:22:29 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 16.05.2019 23:50, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> Emacs provides some advantages, but they are not apparent until you
>> experience them. That's a problem for people grown on a culture of
>> instant gratification. Emacs appeals to certain type of users who
>> understand that gains require efforts.
>
> I strongly disagree: as somebody who like instant gratification, I see
> that Emacs provides significant advantages to us: fast ability to see
> how it works and why, to change its behavior in an instance, to
> experiment without recompiling/restarting/whatever.

But that type of instant gratification require previous effort (learning
that doing those things is possible, to begin with.) The instant
gratification that I refer to consists on installing the éditeur de
texte du jour, "oh, looks nice", poke it for a minute and decide that it
is okay for you and be happy thereafter, or until you eventually become
tired/annoyed enough and then select a replacement by the same criteria.