Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 17:39:50 +0200

From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 16:22:43 +0300

> Currently, we have many more features, but in the IDE department we
> lag after those "limited" alternatives.  We need to catch up.

We are actually okay in the IDE department, with the help of the
community, even if you don't like to consider it to be a part of Emacs.

I don't think I agree, as I hear a lot of complaints about the
difficulties to set up an environment for working on this or that
language.  Even if all the parts of the solution are already in place
(and I don't think they are), the difficulty in bringing them to work
together in a coherent way is something that needs fixing, IMO.

For this issue spaceemacs has the so called sets. They don't reinvent
the wheel, they just integrate the packages that the community created
as a different/independent pieces. This is not optimal, but at least
is more scalable to maintain and modular.
We really are much better in that regard these days than we were even a
couple years ago.

If so, it's good to know.  But I don't think we are quite there yet.

Part of the problems we have to integrate environments is the collapse
of keybindings and overlap of functionalities. Just an EXAMPLE: We have
ycm, irony and rtags for the same purpose, and now lsp just came out. So
there are 3 pieces of code very complex and important but with few
people each. Same with anaconda-jedi-elpy, flycheck-flymake.

A technical question (a bit out of topic, but somehow related):

1) Why the core emacs decided to include flymake instead of flycheck
that is more modular and supports more languages?

2) Does it makes sense to make the keybindings case sensitive?