context-sensitive mouse-3 [was: Is Elisp really that slow?]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: context-sensitive mouse-3 [was: Is Elisp really that slow?]
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 14:44:35 +0000 (UTC)

> Saying about discoverability, I would like a context-sensitive right-click
> mouse menu, something like Microsoft Office. Most newcomers are familiar with
> finding functionality with the mouse;

Library `mouse3.el' gives you a context-sensitive menu
on `mouse-3'.  And yet it still also gives you the
normal Emacs `mouse-3' behavior.

You or your code can customize what the menu shows in
different contexts.

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Mouse3

> how should I find new functions...?

I'm guessing you mean functions (in particular,
commands) that are new to you, and not necessarily
new to Emacs.

Icicles can help with discoverability in a few ways:

 * See what you can do at any moment:
   . See which possible inputs are expected by a
     command that reads input
   . See which key sequences are currently available,
     which of them are general vs which are local,
     and what each of them does
 * See individual descriptions of the possible inputs,
   that is, help on completion candidates
 * Find menu items more easily
 * Find commands more easily
 * Find help in the doc
 * Learn how to use regexps

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsNewbieWithIcicles

Menus in general, and La Carte in particular, can also
help with discoverability, and even more so when combined
with substring or regexp completion (e.g. Icicles).

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LaCarte