Re: Newbie with Gnus and posteo email setup

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Newbie with Gnus and posteo email setup
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 09:06:12 -0700

oury.dustin@posteo.net writes:

> Greetings, help-emacs! Currently, I´m writing this from a webmail
> interface for posteo.de which is not ideal. I wanted to see if it was
> possible to configure Emacs to use my posteo email and one other alias
> together to sort my emails. Looking around I cannot find good
> documentation for configuring Emacs with posteo. I´m barely beginning
> Emacs and can barely remember a few shortcuts on the keyboard.
>
> Below is pasted from the posteo.de help page for help with email
> clients-

Hi! And welcome to Emacs/Gnus :)

The first thing to do is probably check the Gnus manual for the section
on IMAP. Hit "C-h i" to bring up the manual, "m" and type "Gnus" to
select the Gnus manual, then "g" and "Using IMAP" to get to the section
on IMAP. Use space to scroll down.

The simplest config that will possibly work is to put, in your gnus.el
startup file:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "posteo.de"))

That should prompt you for a username and password, and I _think_ offer
to save them in an ~/.authinfo file (depending on what system you're on)
so you don't have to keep doing that. You may have to create that file
yourself, I can't remember. You can also add the user into the config:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "posteo.de"
                           (nnimap-user "youruser@posteo.de")))

I would start with that, and see if Gnus and the server will figure out
your tls situation automatically. If that doesn't work, you'll have to
add something like (nnimap-stream starttls) to the config above (no
double quotes), see the manual for possibilities.

Try that, and see how it goes.

Eric