Re: Google Gmail mailing list bounces

From: Emanuel Berg
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 10:51:35 +0200

tomas wrote:

> Because the second one has no "DNS authority
> section" [1]. As a background: this DMARC
> (and DKIM and SPF) stuff uses DNS as
> a distributed database.
>
> Your computer is set up to ask your local
> domain name server (192.168.10.1). This one
> asks another server, and so on, until that
> recursion hits the server which "knows" where
> dmarc.zoho.eu is.
>
> But your local server isn't totally stupid
> and keeps (caches) that answer, because it
> knows you and expects you to ask again: then
> it can answer right away. But because he
> (she?)'s a truthful server, it will tell you:
> "so-and-so told me" -- that's the authority
> section (I don't quite remember whether dig
> shows you the authority section for cached
> answers or for fresh ones).
>
> Or something like that :-)

If it works like that, why doesn't it keep at
it until it gets the authority reply?
Perhaps there is a setting for that...

>> What does 122 B and 176 B mean?
>
> That would mean bytes, I think. The size of
> the answer.

Aha, great!

>> Where can you see their mailing list policy?
>
> That should be the very first line of the DNS
> reply:
>
>> v=DMARC1; p=reject; sp=reject; fo=0;
>> rua=mailto:dmarc.reports.eu@zoho.eu;
>> ruf=mailto:dmarc.reports.eu@zoho.eu

Isn't that is the _query_?

> That all said... I'd urge everyone to chose
> a mail provider who cares about mail. The big
> ones, the "free" offers and your ISP all want
> to kill mail because there's no money in it.

With ads, side- and extension services that
aren't free of charge, the accumulation of user
data, and so on, there is tons of money
in mail.

> Since they can't kill it directly, they
> starve it. Spam (and the corresponding
> anti-spam measures) are their allies in that.

Tin foil hats on everyone :)

> There are small mail providers who take
> a very affordable amount (here in DE
> typically 1EUR/month) and actually know what
> they are doing

For all their technical superiority, they sure
don't charge much...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573