Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 10:22:11 +0200

Ergus wrote:

> 2) Many new features and functionalities
> (pure editing oriented) have been
> introduced/proved/improved in other editors,
> and they have proven to be useful (move line,
> initial configuration, associative bindings,
> specific key combinations like in cua-mode,
> undo/redo and many others).

I don't know what "move line" or "associative
bindings" are ... but if it is just about
editing and keyboard-to-function behavior, I'm
pretty sure we have it.

As for `cua-mode', even I have that, and
I don't want it, so it must be there to
begin with.

But I do agree the initial config is very
unsexy. Especially the GUI Emacs looks awful
out of the box, to be honest. Obviously you can
get rid of all that stuff easily enough, then
get a bright-on-black theme with a more radical
syntax highlighting, have the cursor stop
blinking, and a couple of other things I don't
remember right now. That's a good start and
should greatly improve the first impression.
I don't know why it isn't like this to
begin with.

> 3) The development is not focused in the
> first thing that a user needs when she opens
> emacs: provide the most comfortable and
> useful TEXT EDITOR.

Emacs is an interface/tool to operate the
_entire computer_. Stop thinking of it as
a text editor only. It isn't true - far from it
- so I don't know why you do it. And it will
never happen, no matter what you or anyone else
say in CAPITAL LETTERS. The only way it will
happen if you fork it and remove tons and tons
of useful code. You can do that, of course.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573