Re: the future of the computer world (was: Re: Google Gmail mailing list

From: tomas
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 13:54:53 +0200

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 10:03:03AM +0200, Emanuel Berg via help-gnu-emacs wrote:
> tomas wrote:
>
> >> ?#2: What do you mean "all the anti-patterns
> >> of the pre-Internet age emerge all over
> >> again." It sounds interesting anyway so do
> >> tell...
> >
> > You had a fragmented landscape of "online
> > services" [...]

> Oh, no! That can't happen! I remember years ago
> writing many times about the future all
> interface-independent use of computer services.
> Everyone could use everything, with their own
> client(s) [...]

Facebook bought whatsapp for $16 billion (that is 16 * 10^9 dollars).
How do you think they are going to monetize it? By letting their users
change providers painlessly?

Likewise they bought instagram for $1 billion. They are /betting their
farm/ on closed platforms. What do you think their shareholders think
about e-mail?

There's a huge financial incentive in poisoning the well (aka "open
platforms") to sell bottled water.

Cheers
-- tomás