"How to change/set default height/size help window [...]" (was: Re: help

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: "How to change/set default height/size help window [...]" (was: Re: help-gnu-emacs Digest, Vol 198, Issue 87)
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 23:38:13 +0200

Budi wrote:

> How to change/set default height/size help
> window below mode line to other than default
> which is half of full emacs window when the
> help is invoked ?

Use the source, Luke!

This sounds like the thing you should examine:

;;; Automatic resizing of temporary buffers.
(defcustom temp-buffer-max-height
  (lambda (buffer)
    (if (and (display-graphic-p) (eq (selected-window) (frame-root-window)))
        (/ (x-display-pixel-height) (frame-char-height) 2)
      (/ (- (frame-height) 2) 2)))
  "Maximum height of a window displaying a temporary buffer.
This is effective only when Temp Buffer Resize mode is enabled.
The value is the maximum height (in lines) which
`resize-temp-buffer-window' will give to a window displaying a
temporary buffer.  It can also be a function to be called to
choose the height for such a buffer.  It gets one argument, the
buffer, and should return a positive integer.  At the time the
function is called, the window to be resized is selected."
  :type '(choice integer function)
  :group 'help
  :version "24.3")

From: line 1077 @ /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/help.el.gz

If you don't have the source on a Debian or
Debian-like system, get it with the
"emacs-el" package.

Wait - *I* don't have that package installed!
"State: not installed" Yet I have the source?!
How did that happen? :O

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573