Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 07:02:06 +0200

> Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 16:30:05 +0200
> From: Emanuel Berg via help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>
> > The really big problem is that Emacs no
> > longer compete on areas were it used to bring
> > the largest gains. Other editors largely
> > surpassed Emacs' gains while requiring
> > less effort.
>
> :)
>
> Big problem!

GNU Emacs has no need to be competitive IMO. As I am okay living right
into emacs buffers, I do not need to compare it with competitors.

YMMV.

> I guess in particular those who are appealed to
> Lisp and those who look for a one-program
> interface to the whole computer, and those who
> enjoy and have time to do endless tweaking with
> their software and want to be able to do so in
> an easy and unified way...

I, for years, constantly was tweaking my .emacs for hours and
hours. As to my surprise, I did not get the job done ;) THat was quite
fun but, in the end, that was pretty conter-productive.

My new mantra: resist to the extension appeal ! Limit yourself to the
bare minimum. Surprinsingly, it works.

I doubt powerusers have tons of them installed and worst, I even doubt
their .emacs are huge. That's why having good default and stick with
them is so important and thus, having stable standards is so important
to old men like me ;)

--
Xavier Maillard
e/j:xavier@maillard.im                w:www.maillard.im

GPG:                           9983 DCA1 1FAC 8DA7 653A
                               F9AA BA49 09B7 8F04 DE1B