Re: answer from Zoho

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: answer from Zoho
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 10:24:11 -0700

Emanuel Berg via help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

>>> I'm not ever going to use your
>>> web interface.
>>
>> Sorry, it isn't clear to me if you are using
>> their STMP server.
>
> It isn't to me, either :)
>
> But you refer to this, right
>
>     smtpmail-smtp-server is a variable defined
>     in ‘smtpmail.el’. Its value is
>     "smtp.zoho.eu"
>
> ?
>
> Good point, I'll write to them and clarify...

But that's not the problem -- I'm sure emails that Emanuel is sending
directly from Gnus via Zoho's SMTP servers are not causing anyone any
trouble.

The problem is emails he's sending to this mailing list: they were once
sent on from the mailing list's server, but with Emanuel's address in
the envelope from, which is exactly what Zoho's DMARC policy doesn't
allow. Now the mailing list is configured so that, when it sees that
policy in place, it uses the mailing list itself in the envelope from
instead, which is legal.

At least, I hope I've understood that correctly!

What I had assumed was, if we're all using nntp, this might not be an
issue. But obviously there's much I don't know, as well!

Eric