Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Stefan Huchler
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2019 12:49:52 +0200

Emanuel Berg via help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Are we talking about being able to tell what
> line point is at, to go to a specific line,
> either thru a button or a manual command, and
> so on?
>
> If so, isn't that like one of the most basic
> feature any editor whatsoever should have?

Showing lines sure goto line yes should be there but do I find it
important? Not really, because you rarely remember a line number in a
big file, you either make bookmarks or move with the search ability.

And on the screen you are on movement oven forward-block / forward-line
(word / sexp-forward) should not be almost everytime better.

If you have a descent big file you have 4 digit line numbers easy, so
you have to press a key for goto-line + 4 digits + enter 6 keys.

show me a position you can't reach with 6 keys with forward/backward
block/line. Also it's not only the amount if you want 6 blocks forward
you can press the same key 6 times which is easier then typing in a
number with 6 different numbers, and if you want to go to a specific
point in a line search is another good alternative 1 button for search
start 2. 2 3 4 letters 3 enter.

So moving through typing in line numbers for cursor movement seems to me
very seldom a good way to operate.