Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2019 03:36:24 +0200

Ken Goldman wrote:

> I was hooked on emacs the first time I saw
> keyboard macros.

I consider keyboard macros poor man's
programming as everything you can do with
keyboard macros, you can do with programming,
but not the other way around.

I've seen people use them to align like three
or four liens or something. One should work on
ones typing and cursor moving speed instead of
doing a macro for that, IMO. And if there are
too many lines, Elisp is better than a macro
IMO as the Elisp is a helpful building block
to have. Maybe the same situation arrives
again, only with some detail changed? If you
keep your Elisp, you can solve that as well
with a minimal change to a duplicate function.

> Is there another editor that can spell
> check code?

I certainly think so :)

> I appreciate that it's multi-OS and
> multi-language.

I don't know what editors the other guys are
talking about, the so called competition.
But there are many multi-OS editors.
Multi-language, I don't know. I can only think
of Vim and .NET/Mono which I think are
C#/VB(A)/MS SQL Server and possibly some more.

> I use emacs for bulk coding. [...]

Bulk coding:

    The process of Coding all members of
    a group of Documents (identified, for
    example, by Deduplication,
    Near-Deduplication, Email Threading, or
    Clustering) based on the review of only one
    or a few members of the group.
    Also referred to as Bulk Tagging. [1]

Okaaay...?

[1] https://www.edrm.net/glossary/bulk-coding/