Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2019 06:44:09 +0200

Ergus wrote:

> I still don't know any user that uses the
> numeric arguments for common commands.

Well, now you know one who uses them all
the time.

I even have several functions I've written
myself that do different things, not just
numerically, depending on if they receive it
or not.

> They use C-z and C-S-z for undo-redo.
> That's why I asked in other email about case
> sensitive bindings. Same for many others.

I have M-0 for `undo' and for redo I hit SPC
and then do `undo' twice. (Perhaps I should
bind a redo to C-0 which I never thought of but
apparently has undefined ATM...)

> We just need to consider the statistics of
> the users who use emacs (including spacemacs)
> and what OS they use. Linux for desktop is
> sadly a fail

Linux (GNU/Linux/X/GNOME|KDE|whatever) as
a desktop is a huge success. Nowadays with the
smartphones etc the desktop itself may be in
trouble but that's another issue.

To be honest, I never cared much for it myself,
I got enough of it during my Mac Plus "Finder"
days, and later WinXP.

Emacs and a terminal emulator is much
better IMO.

> in the short medium time, but the number of
> GNU/Linux users keeps growing (very slowly,
> but growing). And the most popular
> distributions are not the most
> fancy-desktop-oriented ones.

? ... ever heard of Ubuntu?