Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2019 08:05:49 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Unix principles imposes here, do one thing
>> and do it right
>
> That's not applicable to Emacs, since Emacs
> is not a tool, it's a programming and
> text-editing environment.

And howcome that is that not a tool? A Swiss
army knife and a combination plier is not
a tool either, as they contain different tools?
A toolbox is not a tool, as you can put
different tools in it? A milling machine is not
a tool, as you can use it to make yet another
tool? Maybe even a tool to improve the milling
machine itself?

No, Emacs is a tool.

Rather, Emacs is the exception that confirms
the Unix rule...

> I didn't mean "undo" literally, I meant
> "do-SOMETHING" and "UN-do-SOMETHING".
> Every editor I've met has different commands
> for action and counter-action, while you say
> we should have a single command that
> does both.

One can do that with the single `undo' command,
as I described in (I think) my previous post.
(I'm sure I'm not the first/only one doing that
and probably not the last either.)

> And you go there by line numbers?

Line numbers, here meaning the functionality,
not a vertical ruler by the side, is very
useful - when compiling, when communicating,
when editing. Indispensible I'd say (in the
context of and advanced editor, of course).

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573