Re: Calculator: no exponent, full number ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Calculator: no exponent, full number ?
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2019 13:15:20 +0200

> I don't think so from browsing the variables,
> but I might be wrong, so I CC this to Eli
> Barzilay [...]

I got an answer to my private mail! I don't
know if it reached the list tho. Anyway here it
is:

    ++ Is it possible to show results of the
    ++ calculator (M-x calculator) without the
    ++ exponent but instead the full number
    ++ with all digits ?
    +
    + I don't think so from browsing the
    + variables, but I might be wrong, so I CC
    + this to Eli Barzilay who wrote it - see
    + the source [...] for his e-mail.

    I dug into the code, and there's
    a hard-wired 1e8 there which makes it
    decide to use `format` with "%e" instead of
    "%f". I obviously don't remember why
    I hard-wired it without making it
    customizable (maybe it made more sense in
    a 32-bit world), so a cheap way to make it
    possible is to turn it into a variable.
    A better way would be to make it
    interactively changeable.

    BTW, without any modifications, you can hit
    ' (quote) until it says that it's using the
    Emacs printer, and that will do what Emacs
    does. (Again, that's obviously different
    now than what it did 20y ago.)

    (Yet another possibility is to set
    `calculator-copy-displayer` to "%S" so when
    you copy values out you get whatever
    Emacs does.)

    + He wrote it way back in 1998 tho (20y 11m
    + 20d (7659d) ago if we assume 1998-06-15)
    + ...

    Actually, I wrote it about 1-2 years before
    I thought it could be useful publicly...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573