Re: Ctrl-[ ?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Ctrl-[ ?
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2019 15:45:29 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > Stefan explained up-thread (though perhaps on emacs-devel and not
>> > here) what needs to be done for that, so I'm unsure what are your
>> > difficulties in this matter.  Maybe describe what you tried in more
>> > detail?
>>
>> The OP is explaining himself quite clearly.
>
> I thought so was I.
>
>> There is no reason whatsoever to disallow binding C-[ on GUI Emacs
>> the same way you can bind any other key.
>
> My understanding of what Stefan wrote was that this is NOT disallowed.

The key phrase is "the same way you can bind any other key." Stefan's
suggestion does not comply with that.

> There's no reason to chastise me,

I'm no one to chastise anyone. Sometimes I'm a bit too dry.

> even if it turns out I've misunderstood what Stefan said. That's why I
> asked Jean-Christophe to describe what he tried -- to clear up any
> possible misunderstandings, including mine.

One thing that I'll like to know is why the hard restriction about
C-[/C-i exists at all. It is understandable that the default bindings
mimic what you get on the terminal, but forcing the user to jump through
hoops to rebind those keys helps no one. It looks as if a primitive
implementation detail remained like a living fossil to this days on the
C code base.

I suspect that it is related to how several Emacs hackers reacted to the
question posed by the OP: as if he were obviously wrong when requesting
that C-[ to do anything else. It seems that, on this topic, there are
two camps: those tty-minded and those gui-minded.