Re: Ctrl-[ ?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Ctrl-[ ?
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2019 10:44:04 +0200

On Sat, Jun 08, 2019 at 02:31:50AM +0200, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Francis Belliveau <f.belliveau@comcast.net> writes:
>
> > I think that a lot of you are missing the point that was made early on
> > in the discussion. This mapping of ASCII cntrol characters is a
> > definition made by convention since the day of the Teletype machines.
> > It is how the ASCII character set was defined.
>
> So what? Why a GUI user should be inconvenienced or prevented to bind
> C-i, C-[, etc. to whatever he pleases the same way he binds any other
> key combination?

It /is/ possible: thus I don't quite understand your anger here.

I think it's OK for it to be discouraged by default. It's OK for it
to be discouraged for "official" Emacs packages. Because there's some
value in Emacs behaving consistently across backends by default
(as much as possible: it's clear that you can't display a PNG on
a VT220, at least not without some compromise in quality).

Perhaps the ways have to be documented better, and see Stefan's efforts
in making it easier.

Let me repeat here: there is some value in Emacs behaving consistently
across backends (few editors out there, if any, cover the span from
VT220 to X so elegantly). There are folks who use Emacs simultaneously
with different backends.

Cheers
-- tomás