Re: Ctrl-[ ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Ctrl-[ ?
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2019 23:09:05 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2019 21:40:07 +0200
>
> No, I don't know enough. I just looked at keyboard.c for several minutes
> and can only understand your cautions about touching what it seems a
> pile of bugfixes on top of a stack of hacks to deal with quirky
> terminals shoehorning new paradigms like guis into a pre-existing
> tty-based design.

That's a myth not really backed up by the code.

> Oh, and the interactions with the display engine, as if handling
> terminals were not complex enough on itself.

Another myth.

> >> ... Suffices it to say that several times during the recent years
> >> when we needed to make seemingly-simple changes and fixes in that
> >> code, no one had the courage to approve such changes.
>
> I'm sure that that is not Eli's intention, but encouraging it is not.

It's how things are.  Whether they are encouraging or not depends on
what you intend to do about that.  If you want to change/improve it,
come aboard, study the code and its callers, and then redesign and
reimplement it.

Seriously, what did you expect from a 35-year old program that gives
its users an unprecedented amount of power to tweak its workings?  You
can call terminals "quirky" all you want, but they are all still very
much with us, and we must support them, the newer ones, the mouse, you
name it -- all in the same event queue, because that's how Lisp
programs expect to see the input events.