Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 00:55:17 +0200

tomas wrote:

> Seconded. Emanuel sometimes manages to
> overflow my input buffer, then I have to
> flush it (sorry, Emanuel!), but I rather
> prefer a less sterile list.

No apologizes or explanation needed...

But: where have all the people gone that used
to ask questions about Emacs here, often
several, every day?

If people don't do that, nothing good will ever
happen, I'm afraid, and it doesn't matter what
_we_ do.

Either they do that (look for Emacs support)
somewhere else or there _are_ less people
coming to Emacs today than say 10 years ago. (I
say this (10) because this is when came,
roughly, and I think I found this
list/newsgroup all but instantly.)

I have no data to back this up, and I did the
so called ranting even then, perhaps even more,
but even so, I think I was a much, much bigger
help to "the OP" then than I am today :( Which
besides the depressing aspect is an irony, as
then I knew much less!

And, before anyone points it out, I said
a couple of things, people said a couple of
things about newcomers etc etc - and while
those couple of things might be true, or have
some truth to them, who knows, really? -
regardless of whatever, I don't think for
a minute *that* is the explanation!

People don't come here as they used to to
because either they find support somewhere
else, or the user base has decreased. Maybe the
SX site, which (almost) everyone was against
when it appeared, but I said it would be great,
has come back to haunt me - personally - as
altho I was right, I'd never join the
artificial perfection "reputation hunt" myself.
I very much don't like it and consider it
"reducing", if that is idiomatic English?
(Doesn't sound like it.)

I already know my reputation is ambiguous and
I have no problem with that. It's just who
I am. And I don't want to join some competition
and have people reward or punish me or even
edit my stuff if it doesn't conform to the
"computer people should behave like computers"
paradigm. I just want to be me, here as well as
everywhere else!

OK, now I've talked so much about myself in the
last couple of paragraphs that I hope you still
remember what I wrote even earlier, that
I don't think this is about us. Because I don't
think it works like that.

The Third International (the ML, Communist one)
set up an intricate net of militant parties all
over the world. Number of successful
revolutions: 0

--
underground experts united