Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 15:37:00 +0200

Ergus via help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Stefan:
>
> I agree with you about the prefix. After some suggestions in private
> (from this same thread) I have been using the composable package [1] and
> it works like a charm.
>
> I didn't use it before because I didn't know about it (it is in
> melpa). But it really improves the emacs editing experience a lot
> without affecting the default behavior. It has the best of modal editing
> (the consistency) but without the annoying modes.
>
> There are some missing details, and things that can be improved, but I
> see a lot of potential there. Probably this package (or a similar
> design/reimplementation) may finish with the arguments about vim's modal
> editing vs emacs memorize command and inconsistencies. Because it
> provides the best of both worlds. It is compatible with transient and
> delete-selection modes.
>
> The same applies to some commands and functions that will be not needed
> anymore (or needed to remember) as explained in the project's Readme.
>
> [1] https://github.com/paldepind/composable.el

That indeed is an interesting package, but keep in mind that what you
consider "annoying modes" on Vi(m) is the Right Thing for other users.
Specifically, those modes allow to avoid the Control-Meta Emacs hell.

The demographics of Evil's users consists on Vim emigrees looking for a
more powerful Vim, Emacs users who came to think that Vim's model is
more efficient and/or elegant (some of those could find composable.el
interesting) and Emacs veterans trying to alleviate their RSI-related
maladies.