3 x need for speed

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: 3 x need for speed
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 22:11:14 +0200

Since the discussion about Elisp being slow,
I have already found two cases where it is:

1) Autocompletion with large search spaces.
   Try do `M-x insert-char h TAB'. This
   takes >10s for me.

2) Colorizing with regexps. Here [1] is an
   example which I had disabled since I got the
   RPi3 (granted, not the fastest of
   computers). Also, I'm not fluent with
   regexps (who is? :)) so I'm pretty sure some
   of that could be written in a better, i.e.
   faster, way.

Also, when I started doing Elisp, this lexical
(static) vs dynamic scope was obviously above
my head. But even then I thought, without
knowing there was an alternative or an explicit
name for either modes, even then I thought
lexical scope was/is much better, and that's
the way I always wrote the code. So in theory,
I should be able to put

;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-

in all my files, and it wouldn't brake
anything, right?

Rather, the strange thing is, why did it always
work, typing it lexical style, but actually
having it dynamic?

And the interesting thing will be, will it be
faster this way? The load time perhaps?
Not that that will matter, since I have Emacs
on all the time...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573