Re: [offtopic] Re: Ctrl-[ ?

From: Van L
Subject: Re: [offtopic] Re: Ctrl-[ ?
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 22:38:46 +1000

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 07:12:28PM +1000, Van L wrote:
>> Choose the keys comfy for you relative to thumb over modifier key and
>> finger tips poised to strike like in a DOOM Eternal Deathmatch.
>
> It's more complicated than that: on the one hand, there's a strong
> incentive for /one/ default set of keybindings (a baseline, so to
> speak): documentation, tutorials, help forums, etc. (imagine you had
> to parametrize them with $deity-knows-what-weird-keybinding-set, they'd
> spread pretty thinly).

I don't know waht is the proper meaning of the Hyper or Super key
modifier in relation to Emacs. Assuming they are meaningless, using
those don't interfere with the legacy /one/ default set of keybindings.

>> > I'm sure there are multitude of other language-specific keyboard
>> > layouts sharing that weakness...
>>
>> Localise the layout.
>
> See above. I think, realistically, that a non-standard layout is
> (except maybe a few exceptions) a difficult balance act. More than
> it seems at first blush: a key binding set is, after all, like a
> new language -- you get a "tower of Babel" effect if you multiply
> that.

The TCP/IP stack is a 5 or 7 layer tower of babel :-)

My feeling is if you have 50 Emacs people who love Emacs in a boundary
of 50 million people who use Emacs, and the 50 million people can vote
on the most natural comfy feeling layout, which happens to select those
50 people's layout in the first place, the distribution should be big
enough to let users choose from those layouts.

> Now I'm not arguing against using the flexibility Emacs provides
> here, quite on the contrary. I'm just stating that it doesn't come
> at zero cost (on the "social" side).
>
>> > But I didn't want to open /that/ can o' worms -- just to raise
>> > a bit of awareness.
>>
>> I don't have the luxury of 3 modifier keys right of my spacebar and have
>> the following experimental layout.  The CAPSLOCK 'on' doesn't function
>> like holding the SHIFT key down for, for example, '(kbd "H-S-l")'.

... [snip]

> I don't think there's "a solution" to that. It helps being aware of
> the multitude of factors involved.

nuff said

--
© 2019 VanL
gpg using EEF2 37E9 3840 0D5D 9183  251E 9830 384E 9683 B835