Re: C-z in MSWindows shell

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: C-z in MSWindows shell
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 15:23:25 +0200

Sebastian Urban <mrsebastianurban@gmail.com> writes:

>> ... so probably cannot-suspend is t...
>
> Actually in both versions it is set to nil.

cannot-suspend being nil in MSWindows qualifies like a bug to me. Please
use M-x report-emacs-bug to report it.

I tried C-z on MSWindows and it does not run a subshell. The console
blinks but nothing else happens. I'm using a development version,
though.

>> If you exit from that subshell (by typing `exit', for instance) you
>> should go back to Emacs.
>
> And this does the job, i.e. `exit' brings me back to emacs.  Thanks.
>
> But also, maybe a line about this in the Emacs manual?  I mean if we
> have `%emacs' in the manual, so why not a line about times when there
> is no job control, which leads to subshell and for example `exit' as
> a way out back to Emacs.  Maybe just putting "or `exit'" next to
> `%emacs' would be sufficient (I'm just guessing here).

Proposing improvements like this also warrant M-x report-emacs-bug. The
maintainers try to keep the manual thin, but sometimes an addition is
justified.