kill your darlings

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: kill your darlings
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 06:12:52 +0200

Everyone knows that everyone use their favorite
constructs in peach and in writing. E.g.,
I like to use "e.g.", and I like to end
sentences with something like "for sure" -
no doubt :)

On a mailing list this is not really a problem.
But for e.g. in a relationship in can become
very enervating, without exaggerating :) (Okay,
you get it, I'll stop now. Or will I...)

We can't (?) program our relationships with
Elisp, but I wonder if there is a tool or
method to detect "darlings" in a text.
For example, I'm writing a LaTeX text now - it
isn't even halfway done, but currently at
1965 lines, I have used the word "emellertid"
8 times (it means "however" but sounds more
stiff and old-fashioned) - and if I weren't
aware of it, it'd be a good idea if Emacs could
tell me I overused the word, so I could
consider removing some of them. And perhaps
(actually it is likely) there are other of my
"darlings" that I *am* unaware of!

The kind of stuff I described first, with
sentence constructions and so on, I get it it
is probably very difficult for a computer
program to detect. But overuse of words could
be as simple as

- count all words

- see what words are the most common

- are there word there that much longer than
  the others? warn the user about possible
  overuse

- obviously, if one is writing a paper on the
  mating process of the Trigonosaurus, one
  would simply disregard the recommendation to
  not use that wierd word all the time

- to compare the text to the Internet would be
  a possibility, but I don't really like it.
  It would mean the program would try to make
  you write like everyone else. That's not the
  point: the point is to make you aware of
  something, that you might be unaware of!

Is there anything like that going on anywhere
in the Emacs world?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573