Re: Avoiding selection in quail

From: Douglas Lewan
Subject: Re: Avoiding selection in quail
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 17:27:37 -0400

From: Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 13:36:57 -0400

I'd like to add "|N" --> "ℕ" (among a few others) to latin-1-prefix:

(with-temp-buffer
    (set-input-method 'latin-1-prefix)
    (quail-defrule "|N" "̱ℕ")
    ...))

When I type "|N" quail gives me a list to choose from.
What kind of "list" is that?  Please show what you see in the echo
area after typing | and after typing N that follows.

Also, it could be that the other rules you added are relevant, so
please show them all.

In general, if Emacs shows several possible sequences, it means what
you typed is ambiguous and can be the beginning of more than one full
sequence.

Here's what I see in the echo area:
    |N     (01/01) 1.̱ 2.ℕ
(Well, that's my rendition. I couldn't figure out how to capture the echo area. A corresponding image is attached.)

On 06/29/2019 02:33 PM, Yuri Khan wrote:
On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 12:50 AM Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> wrote:
    (quail-defrule "|N" "̱ℕ")

When I type "|N" quail gives me a list to choose from.
Your translation string consists of two characters, the first being
U+0331 COMBINING MACRON BELOW, the second U+2115 DOUBLE-STRUCK CAPITAL
N. quail-defrule’s docstring says each character becomes a translation
candidate.
This sounds good and pointed me in the right direction. I shouldn't have been using strings as targets of quail rules; I should have been using characters (and I do now). That explains the ambiguity that Eli mentions. Touching an input method is not something you do very often, so I'm not surprised I forgot a detail. Things look good now.
Thanks to both of you for the help.

--
,Doug