Re: Does emacs cache something on windows when invoking call-process?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Does emacs cache something on windows when invoking call-process?
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2019 19:16:33 +0300

> From: Eighty Megabytes <emacsuser@freemail.hu>
> Date: Tue,  9 Jul 2019 17:58:34 +0200 (CEST)
>
> It does for me too usually with other commands.
>
> It's ripgrep.

I don't have it installed (and don't intend doing so).  So if you can
reproduce this with other commands, which are available on any Windows
machine, we could compare experiences.

> But if I do this search with it via call-process, so (call-process
> "c:\\bin\\rg.exe" nil t nil  args...))
>
> "c:\\bin\rg.exe" --color never --no-heading --line-number -U --pcre2 --type
> php "function\s*fetch_object_info\s*\(|\*\s@method\s+[^
> ]+\s+fetch_object_info\(|(\s|->|\$|::)fetch_object_info\s*=\s*|\*\s@property(-read|-write)?\s+([^
>
> ]+\s+)&?\$fetch_object_info(\s+|$)|trait\s*fetch_object_info\s*\{|interface\s*fetch_object_info\s*\{|class\s*fetch_object_info\s*(extends|implements|\{)"
>  c:/proj/test
>
> then it takes 6-7 seconds from Emacs.

I have no idea how rpgrep works, but if it accesses some database,
perhaps it takes time when the database is not in the system's disk
cache?  This is pure guessing on my part; please let's use a command
that is likely to be on any Windows machine.

> > AFAIK it does nothing inside Emacs or by Emacs.  It might do something
> > on your system level, though.  But that's out of scope of Emacs.
>
> If it happens on the system level then shouldn't it affect the same command
> when executed via a command prompt?

I have no idea.  We are both guessing here.