Re: How to make emacs stop trying to load /home/sb/.emacs after su to ro

From: tomas
Subject: Re: How to make emacs stop trying to load /home/sb/.emacs after su to root?
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 22:20:47 +0200

On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 10:04:20PM +0200, Tomas Nordin wrote:
> tomas@tuxteam.de writes:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 09:00:11PM +0200, Tomas Nordin wrote:
> >> Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com> writes:
> >
> > [...]
> >>
> >> After su;
> >>
> >> # id
> >> uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
> >>
> >> After su - root;
> >>
> >> # id
> >> uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
> >>
> >> but after this latter way of getting root emacs did not try to load
> >> /home/tomas/.emacs
> >>
> >> Just metooing
> >
> > Have you checked the environment? What does $HOME say? (although the
> > "su -" part lets one expect that the HOME var is set anew: checking
> > won't hurt :-)
>
> echo $HOME gave /root after both su methods

Hm. Was somewhat to be expected. Still... bizarre. You could try to
compare the result of "set" (displays the whole environment) after
both "su" variants: perhaps you find an environment variable which
could explain this behaviour. As a guide you can look up the env
variables relevant to Emacs in the manual; online here [1] [2].

But we don't know (yet) whether an env variable is the culprit
(although it seems compelling...)

Cheers

[1]
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/General-Variables.html#General-Variables