Re: How to make emacs stop trying to load /home/sb/.emacs after su to ro

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: How to make emacs stop trying to load /home/sb/.emacs after su to root?
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 20:41:32 +0200

>> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Find-Init.html#Find-Init

>> "However, if you run Emacs from a shell started by su, Emacs tries to
>> find your own .emacs, not that of the user you are currently pretending
>> to be. The idea is that you should get your own editor customizations
>> even if you are running as the super user."

>> Hm... this is annoying and new behaviour with emacs 26.

>> Does anyone know if there is a way to get the emacs 25 behaviour back...?

> I've been looking at the code in startup.el but I haven't been able to
> determine where the cause of the new behaviour is.

> Is it somewhere in startup--load-user-init-file ?

It has to be the function find-init-path, I think...?

So, the culprit is whatever sets init-file-user (that find-init-path
uses)...?

Let me see:
 If I do a plain su, then init-file-user is "sb"

 If I do "/bin/su - root" then init-file-user is ""

But there may not be an easy way to undo this behaviour by setting
init-file-user, because by its nature this variable is used before any
init files are loaded... hm.