Re: Term as a login shell

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Term as a login shell
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 16:12:29 +0200

    Ergus> Hi:
    Ergus> I am using term, but some of my functionalities require the shell to
be
    Ergus> a login shell  (to use lmod for example).

    Ergus> Usually we do that by passing the option `--login' to the shell
command,
    Ergus> what's the proper way to start the normal `term' as a login shell by
    Ergus> default?. An option I don't find in the manual maybe?

    Ergus> multi-term has a variable called multi-term-program-switches, but I
    Ergus> don't use multi-term.

Term doesnʼt have a user option for that, but itʼs easy enough to come
up with a variant of `term' that does the right thing:

(defun term-login (program)
  (interactive (list (read-from-minibuffer "Run program: "
                                           (or explicit-shell-file-name
                                               (getenv "ESHELL")
                                               shell-file-name))))
  (set-buffer (make-term "terminal" program nil "--login"))
  (term-mode)
  (term-char-mode)
  (switch-to-buffer "*terminal*"))

You can M-x report-emacs-bug to request that it be possible to either
specify a default set of switches to use, or that `term' be taught to
prompt for switches if called with a prefix argument or similar.

Robert