Re: How to search for characters displayed as octal codes in the buffer?

From: ken
Subject: Re: How to search for characters displayed as octal codes in the buffer?
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 06:00:40 -0400

On 7/16/19 9:36 PM, ken wrote:
> On 7/16/19 8:43 PM, Noam Postavsky wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 at 10:50, ndame <emacsuser@freemail.hu> wrote:
>>> Sometimes I have unprintable characters in the buffer which display with an
>>> octal code (e.g. \232). instead of a character (text copied from elsewhere,
>>> etc.)

I've had this same problem for years.  The odd thing is that, I can copy
some text with non-English characters into vi or even into bash without
any problem.  But if I paste that same text into emacs, then those
unprintable octal codes show up.

It's not a problem with some missing fonts... I know this because, as
said, there's no problem pasting into vi or into bash.  Also, if I
change the software "keyboard" containing those same characters, I can
type those characters into an emacs buffer just fine.

My guess is that emacs has some problem converting utf-16 into utf-8...
but just for some characters, those which end up being displayed as
octal codes.