Re: How to let tramp be aware the virtualenv?

From: Bruno Barbier
Subject: Re: How to let tramp be aware the virtualenv?
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 23:02:07 +0200

Hi Zhongwei,

Zhongwei Yao <ashi08104@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks. I try emacs27 and using connection-local-set-profiles. And I can
> run into bash in compile command. But running into bash is not my
> objective. (I try to add source my/python/virtualenv/bin/activate to
> bashrc, and it doesn't work. The bash run in non-interative shell and seems
> doesn't read my bashrc).
>
> I want to make the compilation under tramp know which python virtual env is
> activate. Currently, I have a workaround by using the following compile
> command:
>   . /path/to/the/virtual/env/activate && python --version
>
> But it is in-convenient that each compile command needs a ". /xxx/activate"
> prefix. I don't know whether there is a way to make the compile command
> aware of which virtualenv is activate without using such prefix.

I'm using:
   emacs 26.1
   tramp 2.3.3.26.1

It's just working for me; so, I don't understand what I'm missing here
(sorry about the bash 'source' thing).

The only thing, that I did, is to configure SSH so that it gives a
proper shell to tramp.

   Host nice-tramp
     HostName xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
     RequestTTy force
     RemoteCommand dash -c '. path/to/my-init.sh; dash -l'

As said by Michael, in another email in this thread, your problem is
probably not with tramp.

What do you get when connecting directly using SSH in a console ?  (you
need to get a proper shell, with prompt/input/output/echo).

If I type:
    ssh nice-tramp

I'm connected, getting a shell with a prompt (the thing that tramp needs
to work), and, that shell works like any console shell: input, echo,
prompt.

If I enter, in this shell the command:
    type $0

I get:
    dash is /bin/dash

(yes, I installed 'dash', just to double-check what I could be missing)

Once this is working, in Emacs, I do:

    /ssh:nice-tramp:/whatever/path/

and Emacs/Tramp shows me the directory

In this directory, if I do 'M-x shell', I get a remote shell, on this
directory.

My init script contains:
   export MY_VIRTUAL_ENV="Yes"

And, after 'M-x shell', entering: 'export | grep MY', I get:
   declare -x MY_VIRTUAL_ENV="Yes"

   (my 'sh' is 'bash', not using Ubuntu, that's tramp shell, and it's
   fine for me)

If I enter, M-x compile "echo $MY_VIRTUAL_ENV", I'm getting a compilation
buffer with:

   echo $MY_VIRTUAL_ENV
   Yes

So only configuring SSH works for me. I'm not sure I understand what's
not working for you. Once Tramp gets a proper shell, it should just work
(it can be sh, bash, dash, etc.). Just provide a proper interactive
shell, and let tramp take it from there.

Any idea what test I can do to understand what I'm missing ?

Bruno