local emacs and a remote emacs daemon

From: Perry Smith
Subject: local emacs and a remote emacs daemon
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 08:13:14 -0500

On my Mac laptop I have a local emacs running.  On a remote host, I have emacs
running in server / daemon mode.  The local laptop is a Mac while the remote
machine is Ubuntu so the two emacs do not have a common window system.  I could
(and have) installed XQuartz to the Mac can display X11 clients but I’m not
sure that helps in this case.

Has any work been done to allow the local emacs to open a new frame and display
a buffer on the remote emacs server?

It appears as if the remote daemon is able to run lisp expressions and
communicate the results back.

Probably the best way to help me is to point me to the fundamental functions
involved.  In effect, how does emacsclient “talk” to a daemon.  I assume there
are some primitives that the rest of the functionality is built up from.  I’m
assuming that the functionality built into emacsclient is also built into emacs
(to rephrase, there is nothing essential in emacsclient that isn’t also in
emacs).

Thank you for your time,
Perry