Re: Why there is no key in the *Help* buffer to bring up the relevant in

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why there is no key in the *Help* buffer to bring up the relevant info page?
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 21:22:34 +0300

> From: ndame <emacsuser@freemail.hu>
> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 20:06:30 +0200 (CEST)
>
> > How about filing a feature-request bug report about this?
>
> I may do that, I just asked here, because it seemed strange that
> the help buffer missed such a basic feature, though I think many
> elisp developers like me wanted to navigate to info from help in
> the past.

The usual reason is that what seems like a basic feature to you is not
necessarily that basic to others.  Which doesn't mean the feature
shouldn't exist, just that others may not assign the same importance
to it, and thus didn't implement it yet.

> Emacs uses single key bindings extensively elsewhere where the
> buffer is read only, so it's curious the addition of such quick
> keys did not come up before during the long history of emacs development.

As usual, this has a down-side: too many keys make them harder to
remember.