Tab completion on find file with (C-x C-f) adds a slash to end of file

From: Anne Summers
Subject: Tab completion on find file with (C-x C-f) adds a slash to end of file
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 12:53:25 -0500

Hello,

When I try to open a file with  (C-x C-f) and try to complete name file
with tab a / is added at the end of the file like it does for directory.
For example if I want to open .bash_profile and I do (C-x C-f) then type
.bash_pr the completions I get is: Find file: ~/.bash_profile/

I am not sure how or why that / is being added. I can't recall seeing this
behavior before.I see similar behavior on eshell. I see this with and
without my .emacs file.

I am running on AIX and I don't see this in other architectures.
GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, powerpc-ibm-aix6.1.9.0)
 of 2019-04-23

Thanks for any pointers
Anne S