Re: Why doesn't emacs yield more?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Why doesn't emacs yield more?
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 09:00:58 -0400

> I inadvertently pasted a huge elisp list structure into a buffer
> and it took me 10 seconds or so to regain control, because emacs
> was bogged down by formatting/highlighting the list I think.

Pasting doesn't format, normally.  As for highlighting...:
- If the structure is all on a single line, then the problem is likely
  just the usual (set of) "long lines" problem.
- If it's spread over many lines, then only a handful of lines (those
  that are visible) should be highlighted, so that shouldn't be it.

IOW, please M-x report-emacs-bug so we can try and figure out what went wrong,

        Stefan